Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It Starts....Physical Therapy




We went into Bailey's physical therapy appointment excited.  Hopeful even.  But as Bailey's history unrolled itself in the chart....Those good feelings quickly deflated.  

Do you know what's worse than a doctor telling you that 
"there's nothing that can be done to help your child?"

NOTHING.

Nothing is worse than hearing that.


Bailey has Neurofibromatosis.  2 inoperable brain tumors. 
A year and a half on chemo...AND Degenerative Disk Disease.

While SOME people with DDD benefit....even IMPROVE with intensive physical therapy, this is not the case for our 16 yr old daughter.  It seems Bailey has a more complicated case of DDD, than first thought....And our therapist tells us that no amount of PT will help Bailey.

But...There ARE some good things that came out of yesterdays appointment.  Bailey has a couple rotated disks, that CAN be improved with PT...And the therapist offered "as much PT as Bailey can handle" to help increase core strength-Which MAY help with the pain Bailey experiences.

So...while it sucks that nothing (right now) can be done for the DDD...We ARE hopeful for the potential answers that may come in the next few months.  We don't give up, and we continue to THRIVE.  
Even when  things don't go entirely our way.


3 comments:

  1. Kristy--I admire your strength and how you show and teach your children to follow your amazing attitude! YOU have helped me see things through a different lense...Which has literally saved my life! I wish that I could re-pay for this gift!

    All my love and respect
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, I believe that your strength helps to strive. The answer (Nothing can be done)-is not a good answer, I had faced the same answer from physiotherapist and I did the physio by myself. Maybe the physiotherapy is special and need special attention. In fact, I believe that the physiotherapist don't have experiences like Bailey and actually, Bailey is the one helping them. THRIVE! That's the answer! (Actually your answer too.. hehehe). Look for the results for the next months...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so encouraged by your strength and determination! I hope that you will continue to believe that your daughter will get better, and the doctors will find a way to cure her. It’s good to know the physical therapist will be there to help her manage the pain. Just continue to write about her treatment to bring inspiration and encouragement to your readers who are going through the same ordeal.

    ReplyDelete