Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Vitiligo!


After years of wondering and asking questions about my 4 year olds skin...We were FINALLY referred to a dermatologist!  I was worried about these white patches on her skin, but kept being told that they were scar tissue, from a hive outbreak a few years previous.


But they didn't look like scar tissue...Didn't feel like scar tissue.


When the appointment day finally came, I found myself very nervous.  From all that I have read about Neurofibromatosis, I shouldn't be worried about these white patches having anything to do with that...And since Brooklyn had been previously cleared of NF, I shouldn't be concerning myself.


But as we were waiting for the doctor to come in and examine my daughter, who was dancing around the room in just underwear, happy as could be....My mind went there.


"What if by SOME chance, this happens to be some hidden symptom of NF?"  I couldn't help myself.  NF has been such a huge part of my life, that I wouldn't be surprised if this crazy disorder smacked me in the face with a brand new symptom.


When the doctor came in, she asked why I was there, took a family history and asked about any known allergies.  We talked about NF and I was so happy that this doctor specializes in NF.


I lifted Brooklyn onto the exam table and showed the Dr. the white patches that had formed around my daughters thighs and legs.  The dr. paused and ran her hand along Brooklyn's legs...I asked the dreaded question..."Do you think this could be related to Neurofibromatosis?" 


Then braced myself for the answer.


Her response filled me with such relief.  


The doctor went on to diagnose Brooklyn with a very long named skin disorder..."Vitiligo" for short.  This a condition in which your skin loses melanin, the pigment that determines the color of your skin, hair and eyes. Vitiligo occurs when the cells that produce melanin die or no longer form melanin, causing slowly enlarging white patches of irregular shapes to appear on your skin.


It's not serious...but could spread during her lifetime.


Brooklyn was prescribed a few creams and  an allergy medicine to help with her itchiness.


I was relieved and thankful that we got this checked out...The worry about it being 'something else' was driving me crazy.  Isn't it crazy how we put ourselves through so much worry?  We avoid seeking out answers, because we are afraid of what could be?


The unknown is ALWAYS more scary then what really is.   Never postpone going to a doctor if you are concerned about something...The answers you get may not always be good news...But knowing is better than not knowing...And after you know....you can take the steps to get yourself better.


Take control


Thrive On!





9 comments:

  1. I think that is the same thing Michael Jackson had as to why his skin was turning white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...This is the same skin disorder that Michael Jackson had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think it's the same that I have. I get white patches on my chest when I get really hot. I or I should say my mum was told when I was young it is due to lack of pigment

    Keep up the good work Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very descriptive pоst, I likeԁ that bit. Wіll there be а part 2?
    Stop by my page ... getridofvitiligo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think its the same that I have. I get white fixes on my midsection when I get truly hot. I or I ought to say my mum was told when I was youthful it is because of absence of shade

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is important to note that newly appeared depigmented spots can be efficiently treated soon after onset, typically within the first six weeks of the appearance of white lesions. Early treatment will produce better and longer lasting results, which is why medical care should be sought as soon as possible to stop the patches from spreading.
    vitiligo treatment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get fast and effective white patch treatment from the finest White Patch Doctor from Dr. Mohan Skin and Hair Centre. Our clinic offers the effective treatment for skin and hair disorders at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone is suffering from the Vitiligo Doctor condition and seeking for the best vitiligo in India, you can contact Dr. Mohan Singh who is a well-known dermatologist providing the vitiligo treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vitiligo is a skin condition that causes the white patches on the skin and makes a person unpleasant in appearance. In case you are looking to get the vitiligo treatment from Vitiligo Doctor in Punjab, India, then you can contact Dr. Mohan Skin and Hair Centre.

    ReplyDelete