Friday, January 15, 2010

Surgery Update

The post-surgical pain is easing, one week after surgery. It's hard to believe that a week has already passed.
I still feel shooting pain through my finger. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it kind of worries me, because THIS was what I was dealing with before the surgery. The gauze is stuck down on my nail bed, but finger definitely is healing up.

I'm still having pain in my right pinky finger and left foot. It frustrates that the MRI didn't pick up the tumors ... but maybe after we move, I can find a DR. who will take me and the NF on, and we can figure out why I am having so much pain.

I had to take a percocet today....not for the surgical pain, but for my headache. I was scared to take it because part of me felt it was a failure on my part, not being able to deal with the pain. I know I have to get over my fears, and accept the reality of taking medication to treat my symptoms, but it's hard.
I watched my mother struggle with addiction to pain medication, and I saw it transform her from someone who was talkative and playful, to a lifeless, and tired body on the couch.

I am very cautious about what kind of medication I put into my body, but I also need to learn, that sometimes it's okay to take something to relieve the pain.


1 comment: