Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What's Up Wednesday?

It's been a little KRAZY at the Hopkins house lately. The end of the school year is right around the corner...and I have been busy packing for our move to Colorado. You mix in all the medical issues...and Yeah...you get KRAZY!

Bailey's MRI went well. I am always impressed at how calm and relaxed she is. Just a "go with the flow" type of girl. I am very proud of her, and I know, whatever happens, she will get through this just fine.

I was kind of upset, when I got a call from Dr. Giddings nurse. She told me the report of the MRI looked to be showing TWO masses, and that I needed to make sure I make it to the upcoming appnt.

"Okay..." I thought. "Two tumors on each of the hearing nerves. Hmmm sounds an awful lot like NF2." I had been fighting Bailey's doctors on getting a proper diagnoses, because they are sure that even with ONE tumor, she has NF2. I totally disagree.

Hubby surprised me and showed up in Washington....He knew how crazy things have been for me, and wanted to AT LEAST be there for the meeting with the doctors. It was really nice to see him again.

The appnt for Bailey went well....we talked about the surgery (and the fact the DOCTOR on sees one tumor), recovery and what the after affects will bring Bailey. All she could hang onto were the words, "complications could occur, resulting in death."

On the drive back to school, I just kept telling Bailey that THAT won't happen. She is in very good hands and when we get moved, the doctors in Colorado will take GREAT care of her. Bailey got very quiet.....I knew she had these thoughts rolling around in her head.

She's a lot like me. When stressed, I close everyone out. I never had anyone to talk to growing up, so I learned to keep things inside, stressing about everything....Then like a massive volcano erupting, I'd explode in a fit of crazed frustration.

I don't want that for Bailey.....I pulled the car over, and just held her. Told her what an amazing young woman she is. "But Mommy, the tumor isn't bothering me, why do they need to take it out?"

The Acoustic Neuroma or Meningioma that Bailey has, has probably been silently growing inside
Bailey's head for YEARS. I told her that we COULD leave the tumor there, but in 10 or so yrs, it could cause her real problems, so the doctors want to try to stop it from happening.

"I'm scared of dying and not being here anymore." she says to me. I told her that I would be there every second. "Mom, this is going to cost you a lot of money." Boy...oh boy.....my stress about the insurance has sure trickled over.

I didn't mean for that to happen, but kids seem to always find a way, to find out what's going on. The endless phone calls to doctors, and insurance companies...have exhausted me, and now have stressed out my 14 yr old! What is wrong with this picture!?!? :(

Children should ALWAYS ALWAYS have insurance. NO matter what! Parents should not have to lay awake at night, wondering how a surgery will be paid for. I have drove myself crazy with worry about transferring Bailey's case to Colorado.

I looked at Bailey and told her that I was sorry for letting ANY of my stress touch her. That all she needed to do, was to be strong and brave.

We changed the subject to summer camp! Bailey is attending NF camp this year...and I am soo excited for her. She has been talking about is all year, and it is finally getting close.

It's a good thing that surgery will be August...because now she can go to camp and not worry about stitches and recovery.

So as MAY winds down, and the summer months begin...I brace myself. There is never time to rest, or get off my guard. I need to focus straight ahead. Looking bk is okay, because I can see how far I have come....but I will not look back with regret. Look fwd with hope, drive, determination..and most of all A THRIVING ATTITUDE!

3 comments:

  1. Patricia RosenfieldMay 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

    You aree doing a great job Kristi. It is a scary time but it will work out, one way or anothr. The doctors here at Childrens are awesome and Dr, Foremen and Dr. Rush are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi,
    You and Bailey are always in my thoughts. Keep up your strength. It is a true sign of strength to be able to say to Bailey all you have.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it, we're all paying for the surgery. This is totally unfair and NOT RIGHT!!!! Not right at all. You have insurance, therefore your child should be covered. Sniffles to brain surgery. It doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete