Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Who is Listening?


Communication is the key to better understanding, right?  I am typically clear with how I try to get people to understand what it is I am saying.  But there are some, who just choose to not even try to understand.

I was referred to an Endocrinologist to further investigate the NF tumors scattered all over my thyroid gland.  These tumors cause no pain, or obvious symptoms, but they are there.

I met with a doctor who is in his 70's.  I could tell right away this man was going to be the type I would have to stand my ground with.  The first words out of his mouth was something about fibromyalgia...."No, not fibromyalgia...."Neuro-fibroma-ma-tosis", I said nice and clear.

He looked very confused.  "You know there's no cure for that?  What exactly were you looking for me to do?"....Uh...gee Doc...Your job, maybe?

I know there is no cure for Neurofibromatosis.  But there is nothing I hate more, than being dismissed, like I am some leper, who just needs to go back home to hide.

Being robbed of hope, from someone who has known me for 2 minutes?  Not gonna happen!

First of all, if you have read any of my previous posts, you know that this kind of attitude from a doctor, doesn't fly with me.

After the doctor said that he couldn't help me....I got up and walked out the door.  He didn't examine me, didn't take any kind of history, or look at any of the MRI, Ultrasound notes....Just simply put no effort in trying to understand me at all.

Sometimes, it takes standing up, and walking away....to get you on the right path. The path to 'Thriving', takes effort...And I know I am worth the journey.  It's time to clear the path of its road blocks, and press on!

As Always--Thrive On!

2 comments:

  1. im sorry this happened to you hun ... im proud that you stand your ground in situations like this. even tho is a frustrating , anger filled moment , maybe he truly wasent ment to be the doctor to help you how you need to be helped.

    Keep on being you, fighting for you , fighting for whats right.
    you will get the doctor who will help you .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    My name is Frank from Rochester NY.I found your book on Amazon Kindle, and very quickly read it. My family has a long history with NF on Dad's side of the family. My Dad had a nasty tumor on his face, plus many bumps and spots on his body. It really depressed him when the Dr. said that they could not remove the growth on his face because of the extra blood vessels that were there. In my case a have a ugly growth on my right foot. Buying shoes is a royal pain in the you know where.Surgery may also be risky in my case. I also have smaller bumps and skin discoloration. Hoping one day there will be somthing more that they can do.

    ReplyDelete