Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be Still My Heart



So, I used to HATE Valentines Day!  

That is...Until I hit Second Grade.  Ahhh Yesss.  I was in LOVE!  His name was Scott Loveless, and he played the most amazing game of handball I had ever seen.  He had sandy brown hair, and green eyes...and lived just down the street from me.

Valentines Day in second grade was something SPECIAL...And I wanted to be sure to give Scott something that he would remember forever!

The night before our school party, I stayed up extra late to make sure that MY Valentine to him would be seen by all!  I glued and cut red and pink ribbon to a construction paper heart and wrote with scribbly handwriting:  Scott + Kristi!

At the party the next day, I folded up my gift, and placed it inside the bag the hung from his desk...I went to turn and there was Scott smiling at me.

"Uh...Hi there Scott!"  I said...With a mouthful of candy hearts.

He just smiled and handed me a folded up piece of paper and walked away.

I looked down at the red paper, that was folded neatly into a square, then looked back at Scott who was looking at me!  He just smiled and mouthed the words, "Open it later."

Are you kidding me???  I dashed to my desk, sat in my chair and began unfolding the paper in my lap (so no one would see)  I kept glancing up at the kids in the classroom, who were going around the room, comparing and swapping Valentine candy.

My hands were shaking, and my heart was racing...."What would it say?  Does he like me too", I wondered.

FINALLY...I got the note open.  I smoothed it out on my trembling legs and started to read.

DEAR KRISTI

You are always looking at me and smiling.  I don't like you, so STOP IT.

FROM SCOTT  

I began hating Valentines Day from that moment on.  Until I met my hubby, who LOVES me looking at him and smiling...Or at least he has yet to pass me a note saying otherwise. :)

I hope you all have a wonderful Valentines Day!

Thrive On

3 comments:

  1. LOL. That is the best valentine post I've ever read! Isn't it funny how our worst moments as kids eventually make us laugh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giggle...this is so funny, and I can just see it happening! Thanks for this story! You made my day!
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott lost out BIG TIME!

    ReplyDelete