Sunday, February 12, 2012

What Low Counts Look Like...


We've been doing chemo for almost a year now and have gotten used to the routine:  
Chemo on Fridays
Feel Good Saturday
Feel Like Crap Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Start Feeling Better on Thursday
Then...
Start it ALL OVER AGAIN....


Low Blood Counts or "Neutropenia" - Means the neurtrophils or white blood cells are abnormally low.   Neutrophils are white blood cells produced in the bone marrow and comprise approximately 60% of the blood.

When receiving chemo, these levels are checked constantly.

I can tell when Bailey's counts are getting really low...
And sure enough, the blood test showed this on Friday.

Signs of Low Counts

*Extreme Fatigue
*Weak and Short of Breath
*Dizziness
*Sometimes Fever
*Pale Look to the Face

When Bailey got her blood taken, it was very "runny" and thin...She bled A LOT during accessing...It was then that I knew, even before the results came back, that her counts were going to be low.

But...They weren't low enough to cancel chemo.  There is a range the doctors follow and Bailey didn't quite fall below that line.  (I almost wish she had...just so she can get a chance to recover from this nasty stuff)

We have another month round of chemo...Then we will stop, and monitor Bailey's tumors every 3 months.  

Bailey says she's excited to get her port removed and not have to deal with all these appnts.  I have to admit, I'm excited about that part too.

Even When We're Tired....Even When We Don't Feel Well....

THRIVE ON!

3 comments:

  1. Just checking in to let you know that I have Bailey in my prayers. Praying for healing and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a tough cookie!!! What a brave resiliant soul Bailey is. Can wait till 3 month monitoring time!!! Go young lady!! Hugs from your YAPS pen pal Fenley, sis Lydia and mom patti from Louisville, ky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your journey on this blog as a silent observer...But I wanted to take the time today to tell you that I think your outlook on your life with Neurofibromatosis is AMAZING!
    You deserve some recognition for this positive attitude and I hope that one day, you get it!
    I have NF1, and live a life of sheltered, non-existence. I seldom think a positive thought about how NF has affected me and often become overwhelmed at the "what-ifs".

    Then...I come here (to your blog) and see a smiling beautiful woman, with six amazing children. I am impressed and inspired by you...As are MANY people, I am sure!

    Thank you Kristi, for shining a light on my darkened path.

    YOU ARE AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete