Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Don't Turn Around Tuesday!

Last night, hubby and I went to see 2012! It was a very much needed "surprise", last minute date. I knew going into this movie that we weren't going for some deeply emotional drama, so I was excited.
John Cusack rates number 5 on my all time favorite list....and as hokey, unrealistic, improbable, and poorly acted (outside of my sweetie, John) as it was, I really did enjoy the movie!

It also gave me the inspiration for today's "Don't Turnaround Tuesday"!

Throughout the film, Scif-Fi writer Jackson Curtis (Cusack) and his family were running, driving, flying, and swimming towards safety. We watched the earth crumble just millimeters behind each step they took, runways collapsing underneath their planes (yes, there were two treacherous plane trips in this 2 hour and 45 minute roller coaster ride), and fireballs just miss crushing our favorite characters as they perilously but persistently made their journey to the safety of the 'arks' waiting in China.

Disaster movies teach us one universal truth about life: When the world is exploding around you, the last thing you want to do is turn around! Glancing back into the destruction, lamenting what you've lost, fearing what may destroy you is a sure-fire strategy to die early.

It's easy to sit and watch our lives fall down in flames around us. To focus on the hopelessness of it all. To even find honor in facing the failure and allowing ourselves to succumb to it, in an emotionally martyristic-like fashion.

The more difficult road is to fight, to keep our eyes on living, even in the face of certain defeat, certain death. To spend every last ounce of our physical and mental energy moving forward, to save ourselves, and those closest to us.

Yeah, Neurofibromatosis sucks. But this Turnaround Tuesday, I'm not going to turnaround. I'm going to keep my eyes firmly fixed to my salvation ahead. How 'bout you?

3 comments:

  1. Great analogy, and I completely agree! There's a lot of sad and negative stuff I could look back on, but why bother? Keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said ...I've been feeling pretty low lately and hopeless.
    thanks for inspiring me to look forward ...
    New International Version (©1984)
    For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete