Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Whacky Wednesday

Nuclear Brain Scan

I started my 4 day Nuclear brain scan. I couldn't really prepare myself for what was going to happen. I've been nervous about this test for a while....and rightly so!

The morning started early....Hubby drove me down to the clinic and we sat waiting for 1/2 hour before we were called back.

I changed into a gown and met with the anesthesiologist. They went over the procedure and got me into position.

I laid on my stomach and my back was washed over with iodine. It was cold and felt good. But my exposed back, made me feel very self conscience. I hate being exposed in any way, and being surrounded by Drs, just made me cringe. These tumors make me feel horrible about my body.

The Dr shot me up with some numbing medicine, that stung like a million bees. With the xray machine in place, the Dr inserted a 8 inch needle into my spine. He checked the spinal pressure (which was within normal range) then injected the nuclear medicine into my spinal space.

It hurt so much. The electric shock type sensation, tensed up my body, and made me feel sick to my stomach. I was assured that this was normal.

When the Dr was finished, I rolled onto the other bed and was wheeled to recovery. There I stayed for the next 3 1/2 hours!

The Xray tech came and got me, to take pictures of my head. I experienced my first spinal headache....this happens when spinal fluid leaks out of the spinal column.

The brain pictures took about 40 minutes.....No real results yet.

More Xray pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support ...I love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Kristi, I am so sorry you have to go throw this. I don't have tumors on my back, but I understand humiliation. God is with you, always. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you, the spinal headaches are the worst, i hope it goes away, i had them after my c section they had to do a blood patch that worked for a day then they gave me a caffeine drip, i hope your results come quickly thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, girl do I know how you feel. just finished all my mri's and spine x-rays within the past few days. and yes it's hard to be "exposed " real hard, but without us there would be no one person to help us find a cure. it's the only way I can do what I do. scans,x-rays,injections,meds,and above all hope.we are the hope of cures to come.in us there is an undying strength that will live on, and on.so be strong girl,I will be here with you.stay strong, you have made it this far and you will make it,as will I. marlsunshine@twitter.com if you want u can email me. marlenebecker64@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete