Monday, November 22, 2010

A Lesson in Humbleness-Thriving with Neurofibromatosis

While on our vacation at Give Kids the World, I met a few wonderful families who have children that are suffering extremely debilitating conditions.

It was both hard and inspiring watching how these families thrive, despite a seemingly hopeless situation.

I met a woman who was staying in the villa across the street. She brought a houseful of kids and she told me her story, while we both gathered food from the passing breakfast cart.
As we held the donuts, cereal, milk and juices in our arms told about her son who was hit by a car, and left for dead.

"He was in a coma for 3 months. He was left paralyzed" she told me. "The doctors all told me to 'unplug' him.....that he would be nothing but a vegetable." She refused to give up on him and kept believing that unplugging him was not the right choice to make.

She fought against what the doctors told her, and while her son faces many many issues, he is far from a vegetable. I was in awe of the strength this woman carried around with her.

She wasn't angry or resentful....She was strong and confident in her choice to fight for her son. These are the kind of people that help me with my own strength.

I am so grateful for my life and my children's lives. I am THANKFUL for what I have and I appreciate people who show me what true strength is.

Thrive On!

No comments:

Post a Comment