Monday, December 31, 2012

2012- A Year in Review


It's hard for me to look back at 2012.  Our family has come so far, yet it still feels like we have been standing still for so long....Even sometimes heading backwards.  Discouraging, to say the least.

We started 2012 with news that Bailey's tumors did not respond to chemo, so ANOTHER type of chemo was ordered, with the hopes that THIS would be 'the one'.  Almost a year later...her tumors have not moved...In fact, they are 'slightly bigger'.

It hasn't all been bad, but with our focus on Bailey, it's hard to see past all the medical issues she has been dealing with.

On a high note:

Since February 2012, I have lost over 70 pounds.  I have gone from my heaviest ever, to the lightest I have been since before my pregnancy with my 8 yr old son.  Low Carb and visits to the gym (I hear my hubby laugh), as often as possible have been what has worked for me. :)

I also volunteered at Camp River Ranch.  (A camp for chronically ill and terminally ill  children) I spent a week at this camp that is about 3 hrs southwest of where we live.  It was one of the most rewarding weeks of my life.  Bailey has gone to this camp, for the last 2 yrs. We both cannot wait to go back!

AND....I got to go on a trip to California, for a family reunion!  My brothers and I haven't been ALL TOGETHER for over 10 yrs!  It was pretty awesome - to spend that time with them!


Overall, it's been a very busy year, with some definite highs and lows...But we are hopeful as we go into another New Year, that some progress will be made medically.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
THRIVE ON!

3 comments:

  1. Focus on positive things like your weight loss not negative like Bailey's tumors. My own tumors are slightly growing but I am happy I now have a job after looking for years albeit me being in my early 20s. As for lossing more weight Ms Hopkins what I did was eat health choice and smart one TV dinners low in calories high in fiber and I am now 145 from about 165. I love the fact you volunteer at a sick kid camp I wanted to do that at the nf camp in Utah but to so called volunteer I had to pay 350 for room and board I called up the company that sponsers that camp and asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry could not write full responce on last post.
    Anyway I come to findout the campers parent have to fork over about 400 anyway. I should have gone as a kid. The nf societies do not run the camp. A private company does. Have any of your children attended. I have heard good albeit short reviews of the nd camp from people on inspire.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know
    so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit,
    but other than that, this is magnificent blog. A fantastic read.

    I will definitely be back.
    Here is my weblog - sell iraqi dinar

    ReplyDelete