Sunday, November 22, 2009

Motivational Monday

Ruffling Feathers

I have always cared about what people thought about about me. So much so, that I have actually changed the course of my life, several times. Unbelievable? Yeah. I was so afraid to offend, so afraid to hurt feelings that I would never speak my mind about anything I believed in.

I used to fear conflict and criticism so much, that I would run the other direction, when confronted with a choice. I don't love conflict now, but somehow since my new found 'Thriving with Neurofibromatosis', I am less afraid of it. I have found a new sense of bravery, that makes less afraid to ruffle some feathers.

Unpopular choices sometimes have to be made. Whether they hurt feelings or not. I worry less now about being judged for them. It's much easier when you have something to believe in, especially when you are fighting for your life, or your children's lives.

In order for me to do right by my family, flying under the radar wasn't going to happen anymore. I had done that my entire life and it had gotten me no where. Criticism is a part of life, and me being out here on the internet "THRIVING", I risk criticism of others, and actually that would be true if I was on-line or not.

What do you believe in? Are you letting what others think of you control the way you live your life? It has taken me a long time to find my voice, but as I found it...I became a stronger advocate for my kids and a more compassionate person, who is accepting of others and the choices THEY make.

Neurofibromatosis, has made me stronger, not weaker. It has firmed up my back bone so much so, that it will never- ever be walked on again! With each passing month I grow stronger, and less afraid of the ruffled feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment