Monday, February 15, 2010

Why Why Why?


"Why are people mean to me mom?" I just hold my 12 yr old son close to my heart and tell him the only thing I know to make him feel better. "Those kids don't understand who you are, and how wonderful you are....and it's their loss if they don't want to be your friend."

My NF children know they are "different"...They know that they require a different handle on life. (Additional help & modifications) But they are far from stupid. They pick up cues faster than I do sometimes....and they know when they are being treated unfairly.

My children and I were talking about my book and my writings.....and why I "TRY" to blog everyday. MY 9 yr old daughter (who does not have NF) says to me, " I think it's really cool that you have NF, and you talk to others who have NF and try to make them feel better. Maybe I can start a blog too, and talk about what it's like to have a mom and 2 sisters and a brother with NF."

WOW.....all I could do was smile! My 14 yr old daughter who does have NF chimes in...."Maybe we can do it together and I can write my perspective and you can write yours! We can call it- "'A Child's View into NF'...."

My jaw just dropped as I just listened to the conversation building between my daughter's. This was amazing. A connection was starting that I wish could happen across the planet.....but it WAS starting.

I know this blog post is all over the place today....But I had lots to share......Standing up for what you believe in, fighting for what's right....I will always and forever do that, for my children and for myself and NEVER apologize for it.

I am doing what I have always wanted to do. I am building up a strong family. Children who know what direction they are going in, and how to fight for what THEY believe in.

I am so proud of my family...and my choice to have children. There is nothing I have done in my life, that has brought me greater joy, than watching my children grow -- and THRIVE!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. We just asked my7 yr old (who had NF1) who his friends were at school and he told us that he didn't have any that no one wanted to play with him. What a terrible feeling I had as his mom. He is not a severe case and he has no major visible signs that he has it, but because of how differently he functions i assume is the cause. It is encouraging to know that we are all in this race for a cure together, not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so thankful that my son Aiden, has a twin. They are only four, but already the differences are there. My son is becoming aware he is different from his sister, but he knows she'll always be there for him. We talk alot in our family, about how we need to be there for each other, how we stand up for each other, and take care of each other, especially Aiden. It is always heart breaking for a parent to know their children don't have friends, are not treated the same, ect. I wish it could be better, hopefully with time it will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truely inspirational and emotional blog today...I was also trying to explain to my 6 year old what NF is since his 2 year old sister has it. He knows she is different because of the brace but of course doesn't fully understand what NF is...My daughter is blessed to have two older brothers that will be there for her. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete