Monday, April 5, 2010

Determination

Motivational Monday
"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try"


What's the first thing you think of when you hear the word determination? My first thoughts are of my children, who without hesitation, go after what they want, and usually don't stop until they get it. I love them for this...It has taught me to not be afraid to go after what I want.

These last few years, I have gotten up close and personal, with Neurofibromatosis. I have learned so much about this disorder, more than I ever wanted to....and even though it scares me, knowing that this beast is a part of our life, I have this determination, to never allow it to scare my children.

Three of my children are affected by NF. Knowing this crushes me to the point that I feel endless guilt, for adding this, to an already complicated life. But I know, that whatever the NF brings with it, cannot and will not take away my drive, to give my children the best life that I know how to give them.

They are happy and generally healthy kids...who have a spirit inside of them, that just makes me so proud. I will love them to the ends of the Earth and back again.

I am friends with a middle aged mother who has 5 kids. This woman is healthy, and has no genetic diseases or cancers in her family history....But she went on to have 3 special needs children. 1 with severe Autism, 1 who is partially blind and deaf and 1 who is in remission from Leukemia.

A perfectly healthy woman...and 3 special needs children. It just blows my mind. NOTHING is guaranteed.... absolutely NOTHING.

This woman has the weight of the world on her shoulders, but still presses on, determined to persevere....and I think she is doing an awesome job. *You know who you are*

I am so proud of the friends I have...who are choosing to never give up. I know who hard it is to deal with the unknown path of a cruel genetic disorder....I also know how good it feels to stand up to it.

Whatever YOUR fight is...keep going....Keep choosing to beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment